Thursday 16 July 2015

I've got this...

I can't seem to settle tonight - tired as can be, and really need to hit the sack...but struggling to get there. Really blocked with writing this speech - not because I cant do it, but because I have the memory of listening to an installation speech way back at the first conference I ever attended, and being so awed by the speech and the position of the person delivering it. To me, this was something to aspire to - something I never believed back then, that I could expect to be able to do. Yet, here I am, less than 10 years since first attending our conference and seeing a Region President installed and tomorrow, I am to be installed as Region President.
I know I am capable of doing this - yes, that is how far I have come - back then, I was playing the 'fake it til you make it' game. I may have looked like I was confident to the outside world, but in reality, I was anything but!
Ten years of life later, I've had the kind of growth most people take 30 years to accomplish, thanks to the support and encouragement of a group of incredible people. My 'other family' who have lifted me up and helped me to expand my horizons far beyond anything I ever imagined possible. These fabulous folks are the members of POWERtalk International - a not for profit organisation who provide training in public speaking and leadership skills. Through their training and evaluation, I have learnt an enormous amount and grown in confidence and competence. My horizons have expanded to a point where I honestly feel the possibilities are limitless... AND achievable!
Don't misunderstand - I'm nervous! But now, the nerves aren't holding me back. Instead they are serving a purpose. They remind me to remain accountable, to ensure I put in the hours required in order to serve this term with purpose and integrity - to inspire others to realise their potential too!
I hope that in doing so, I will inspire other members to expand their horizons, and move forward as I have, growing in capability, capacity and confidence.

2 comments:

  1. You spoke your truth, here. You will speak it at Installation. So many people never ever do that. It is a beautiful truth. You will uplift and inspire, just as you were uplifted and inspired. So many people never ever get to feel what that is like. Congratulations, Mary, and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bronwyn. It was a very exciting and very humbling day!
      I'll publish the speech on here...but right now, I need sleep!

      Delete